• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Uninterested = depression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audio Terrorist

Bluelighter
At the moment, I feel very uninterested in absolutley everything I do. I have a job in a pharmacy which I love, I learn new things all the time and it's what I really want to do. I have a wife and kid that I love to bits as well but I also feel unmotivated to do anything interesting with them. I don't actually feel "depressed" as such. There is no sadness, anger, suicidal thoughts etc... just not able to get motivated or interested in anything. I try reading and my mind starts to wander, I'm at work and can't concentrate, I get home and I have no energy.

I would rather not go to the doctors just to get stuck on anti-depressants as when my brother died about 4 years ago and got put on Fluoxetine then, it made me feel like a zombie. Really emotionless and pretty much how I feel now.

I've found Provigil really good for increasing motivation without feeling wired like typical stimulants. But price is a big factor and I can't really afford to be taking this every day. Is there anything (Supplements/vitamins etc) that might help me out? I've read a little bit about 5-HTP and it looks like it may help. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

be thankful you can feel no emotion

prozac saved my life, before prozac every second of every minute of every hour was filled with severe crippling depression. Such Low feelings I would think of killing myself on a 24/7 basis and crying about almost everything...

Now for once in my life I dont have any feeling and although I feel zombified I'm finally free from pain, so you obviously havent felt real mental pain.

i feel the same way. drugs don't seem to help nor make much of a difference. i tried adding more shit to my timetable to take up my time and make me interested but it's not helping at all. dunno... lemme know if you find an answer :\

i as well suffer from massive apathey. i am unmotivated to succed in life because i dislike life.

hey theres nothing wrong with being apathetic.
Imo I think we are were designed to be depressed because in our 'hunting days' depression is what caused people to have aggression and go fcukin mental.

serial killers are usually so damn depressed they end up killing people just because they are hurting so much themselves.

think about it... this life is cruel so you just have to ride with it and dont fake anything. You dont have to smile if you dont feel like it.

serial killers are usually so damn depressed they end up killing people just because they are hurting so much themselves.

People kill for numerous amounts of reasons.
For profit, for pleasure, from spite or perhaps accidentally.
Serial killers, murder people as a living. These killers think of it as a way of life, as if killing is like oxygen; feel urges for it.
Some may be depressed yes, but that is not the main reason why they will hurt somebody else.

Anyway, OP: This is more than likely just a phase but I can understand why you are concerned. I would recommend l-tyrosine, or talking to a doctor about this numbness you feel, they won't suggest anti-depressants if you don't want them. Good luck :)

smoke some HERB

No. Don't 'smoke some bud'. Being an adult with responsibilities who is already unmotivated, you should not smoke because it could most likely pinoint the root of your stress and the fact that you are depressed. Don't risk it. I am very depressed forever, and I smoke a lot of weed. It helps and makes it a lot worse simultaneously.

How long exactly have you been down and uninterested with life? There is a huge difference between little-'d' depression and big-'D' Depression. If you are feeling this way for more than three or four weeks then you might just have clinical Depression and you might want to look into seeing a therapist or a psychiatrist. A lot of people seem to confuse the little-'d' and the big-'D' depression. From what little you have written, it doesn't seem that you are experiencing clinical depression.

If you are having difficulty feeling close with your family and you aren't enjoying the time that you spend together, then maybe you can talk to your wife about it? If things still aren't going well then you could look into counseling to see if there might be anything that you need to work out. Counseling in general can do a world of good for most people.

Trying to self-medicate the problem is not something that I would recommend.

Do some new action. Fuck if you can't think of anything, just go wander around (on foot or other means).

Do you do much physical activity?

Contrary to popular belief, depression doesn't necessarily mean feeling melancholy or "sad". You don't have to cry a lot, be suicidal, or sleep 23 hours a day to be suffering from clinical depression, which comes in many forms. True depression can consist of any of the following symptoms, which may be constant or cyclical:

-Fatigue, oversleeping
-Amotivation or lack of interest in things that you once enjoyed
-Weight loss or gain
-Decreased libido
-Foggy, clouded thinking that is slow and takes considerable effort
-Slowed speech and lethargy
-Increased anxiety, panic, or stress, leading to deepening depression
-Low self-esteem/body image problems
-Low mood, flat affect, or negative emotions (crying, sadness, anger, etc.) for no real reason
-Loss of appetite or, conversely, greatly increased appetite with overeating
-Substance abuse/"self-medication" to improve symptoms
-Suicidal thoughts or actions, though depression needn't be present for suicide to occur and vice versa.
-Worsening job performance, grades, and other things that take energy and focus to do well
-Relationship and friendship problems

Few depressed people suffer from all of these, but most have 2 or more of these symptoms for a period of 6 months or longer.

Depression needs no external trigger, such as divorce or loss of a loved one, as it's a mental illness resulting from low levels of certain neurotransmitters. Many physical diseases can cause symptoms of depression as well, such as hypothyroidism, anemia, hormonal imbalance, yeast overgrowth, AIDS, and many others. Depressed persons have been found to have lower-than-normal levels of certain vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and other nutrients in their bodies, such as B-12, calcium, magnesium, and virtually any of the other 40+ nutrients vital for proper functioning of the mind/body. Does this mean that deficiencies of these nutritents are the cause of all cases of depression? No. But if you ARE deficient, as about 99% of people in today's society are, supplements could decrease your depression dramatically. Here's a list of natural/alternative substances that have been found to help depression in some people:

**Essential fatty acids (EFAs) like fish oil, flaxseed oil, or hemp oil. A deficiency of these essential nutrients causes symptoms known as "depression" in nearly ALL deficient people.

**Gingko Biloba, ginger root, or any other herb that increases circulation of blood to the brain can help with the brain fog that can accompany depression.

**Supplements like SAM-e, 5-HTP, L-Tryptophan, St. John's Wort and related substances serve as "natural" antidepressants, naturally increasing the production of certain neurotransmitters in the brain. (DO NOT TAKE WITH PRESCRIPTION ANTIDEPRESSANTS!)

**Cannabis is a safe, natural, and effective antidepressant for many people. To cut down on health risks, vaporise or cook in food/beverages instead of smoking. Hemp is one of the only substances in nature to contain all 9 essential amino acids (EFAs) which are vital to our health and well-being. It's a nutritional powerhouse, and the psychoactive compounds provide immediate treatment for many ailments, from AIDS wasting syndrome to anxiety to anorexia.

**Also remember that it's important to get plenty of sunlight, fresh air, exercise, and quality sleep to avoid depression. These things are the very foundation of a happy, fulfilling life and must not be neglected.

While clinical depression doesn't require an external trigger, our life circumstances certainly play a large role in our mental state. Take steps to break away from dysfunctional relationships, set aside plenty of time for relaxation and recreation, and find a job that makes you feel productive and fulfilled. I mean REALLY fulfilled, not just wealthy or admired by other people. The perfect job is one where you don't even realize you're working; it's something you'd do in your spare time for free even if you didn't have to have a "job". Friends should be supporting of whatever lifestyle or life changes you embark on and should lift you up when you're down, and the same goes for family and romantic partners.

Another common contributor to depression is negative self-talk. That is, when that little voice in your head tells you "you're stupid, incompetent, not manly enough, a bad son/brother/friend, etc." That voice should be saying things like, "It's okay. Nobody is perfect. I'm a good person because I have the inherent value that all human beings have and are given by our creator. I'll do better next time." Or something to that effect. We also construct imaginary audiences in our minds that discourage us from doing the things we want, judge us for our feelings and actions, and ridicule us. When you do something embarrassing like slip and fall down, your imaginary audience may laugh at you, make you feel clumsy and say degrading comments, leading you to believe you really ARE a clumsy soandso, etc. It's VITAL to separate our imaginary audience from our "real" audience by remembering that the real people in our lives do not think such terrible things about us and aren't half as judgmental as our imaginary audiences are. In fact, other people don't notice 90% of the"embarrassing" things we beat ourselves up for, as they're too preoccupied with their own lives and with avoiding similar embarrassment. We all have these internal dialogues, and being able to see it for what it is is very helpful. Negative self-talk comes from conditioning, and the longer it goes on, the more we believe it. The more we believe it, the more it hurts us and distorts our perception of reality. The next time you catch yourself thinking, "Boy, what a stupid idiot I am", stop whatever you're doing, take a deep breath, and remind yourself that it's only your opinion and others don't think this about you. Replace negative self-talk with positive affirmations.

To summarize, depression is not just one disorder or disease, it's any one of a long list of symptoms that varies greatly from person to person and over time within the same individual. However, all people with depression are at risk for lowered immune function, increased illness, and other health problems, as depression directly affects our body systems on an intimate level. Not to mention it can lead to career problems, relationship issues, and a general lower quality of life all around. It's important to search for the underlying CAUSE of your depression so you can know how to treat it. SSRIs like Prozac and other antidepressants only work for some people in some situations. If your depression is caused by a vitamin deficiency, for instance, these medications will do little to no good for your particular type of depression, and if you're suffering from undiagnosed bipolar disorder, they can even be dangerous. Conversely, if your depression is caused by a troubling external situation in your life, neither supplements nor medications will help; the solution is to learn healthy coping and communication skills to deal with problems more effectively. If your symptoms are caused by a health problem like low thyroid function, none of the above will provide relief--the solution is taking medication to treat your physical condition and complying with your dosing schedule.

So there are many potential treatments for depression, but you must know the cause in order to treat it effectively. Not all negative life cycles are a sign of clinical depression, as it's normal to experience ups and downs in the areas of emotions, career success, relationships, etc. Our culture, being so influenced by the pharmaceutical industry and their "magic bullets" for every condition under the sun, has made many people overly concerned about their health, thinking every emotion or negative sensation they experience is a sure sign of disease. On the other hand, depression is a very real physical disease, just like diabetes or heart disease, and should not be overlooked or downplayed. Depression may actually be more prevalent today than in the past due to the pressures of living in the 21st century: eating deplorable diets devoid of any nutritional value and being deprived of sleep/down time while running 100 mph at jobs that underpay and undervalue employees. Throw in a family history of depression, and you have a recipe for disaster.

My best advice would be to do some research on clinical depression as soon as possible. Learn about the different types (atypical, dysthymia, etc.), possible causes, symptoms and treatment options and just absorb as much info as you can. This may take days or even weeks, but be persistent in learning all you can.

The second step is to evaluate your life circumstances and external stressors: Is your boss too demanding or degrading? Are you under pressure to live up to a certain level of prestige in your profession? Are your friends supporting you and helping you grow, or are they dragging you down and making you feel worse? How's your love life? Is your home life one of peace and cooperation or one of chaos and disorder? Do you have someone you can pour your heart out to at any given time without fear of judgment and rejection? Writing down these questions and answers helps immensely in getting your thoughts organized and seeing where things are going wrong.

Third would be to list all the stressors in your life and try to find ways to deal with them so they don't crop up and kill you slowly. When do you feel the most stressed? The saddest? The most defeated? Learn relaxation techniques like deep breathing, meditation, and others to prevent anxiety from turning into deep depression.

From a biological perspective, look at your diet, level of physical activity, sex life, spiritual life, the time you spend relaxing, the number of hours you sleep, and other health-related subjects. Look for ways to get more sleep, exercise, nutrients, and recreation into your life even if it means putting other people second sometimes (which it will). Practice positive affirmation each morning by repeating a phrase like, "I am a caring, loving individual who is good at _____, _____, and ______. I will make this day the best it possibly can be." Work on your psychological self-talk and deal with issues from the past by confiding in someone who's mature and caring enough to listen. Unresolved emotions can wreak havoc on our current lives, even if we don't realize it.

Things NOT to do would be going to GNC without researching health supplements, loading up on everything the store clerk recommends for depression, spending tons of money and possibly making things worse by being ignorant to the effects of your supplements. Equally bad is going to your physician and telling him/her you're depressed...all they'll do is write a script for a medication they know little about for a condition they're not qualified to treat. If you need medication, get it from a psychiatrist. Don't focus all your attention on your symptoms and overanalyze them, but don't just neglect your mental health by ignoring it and staying uninformed about your condition either. Find a balance of being knowledgable, concerned and proactive about your treatment without being a compulsive worrier, self-pitier, or hopeless zombie. Knowledge really is power when it comes to depression, so read up. Ask questions. Reach out for help and support. You'll be glad you did.

(Sorry so long. I'm just passionate about this topic and have extra energy left over from a Benzedrex run) :)

Last edited:
5-HTP has helped for me in the past few months. I have been suffering some mild depression (which comes with this time of year), but after a few hours of my first dose of 5-HTP, it has put me in a better mood. I wouldn't go so far as to say it makes me want to be more interested in the things that I am normally interested in, but I don't feel as dull as I did in the morning before taking the supplements.

Contrary to popular belief, depression doesn't necessarily mean feeling melancholy or "sad". You don't have to cry a lot, be suicidal, or sleep 23 hours a day to be suffering from clinical depression, which comes in many forms. True depression can consist of any of the following symptoms, which may be constant or cyclical:

-Fatigue, oversleeping
-Amotivation or lack of interest in things that you once enjoyed
-Weight loss or gain
-Decreased libido
-Foggy, clouded thinking that is slow and takes considerable effort
-Slowed speech and lethargy
-Increased anxiety, panic, or stress, leading to deepening depression
-Low self-esteem/body image problems
-Low mood, flat affect, or negative emotions (crying, sadness, anger, etc.) for no real reason
-Loss of appetite or, conversely, greatly increased appetite with overeating
-Substance abuse/"self-medication" to improve symptoms
-Suicidal thoughts or actions, though depression needn't be present for suicide to occur and vice versa.
-Worsening job performance, grades, and other things that take energy and focus to do well
-Relationship and friendship problems

Few depressed people suffer from all of these, but most have 2 or more of these symptoms for a period of 6 months or longer.

Depression needs no external trigger, such as divorce or loss of a loved one, as it's a mental illness resulting from low levels of certain neurotransmitters. Many physical diseases can cause symptoms of depression as well, such as hypothyroidism, anemia, hormonal imbalance, yeast overgrowth, AIDS, and many others. Depressed persons have been found to have lower-than-normal levels of certain vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and other nutrients in their bodies, such as B-12, calcium, magnesium, and virtually any of the other 40+ nutrients vital for proper functioning of the mind/body. Does this mean that deficiencies of these nutritents are the cause of all cases of depression? No. But if you ARE deficient, as about 99% of people in today's society are, supplements could decrease your depression dramatically. Here's a list of natural/alternative substances that have been found to help depression in some people:

**Essential fatty acids (EFAs) like fish oil, flaxseed oil, or hemp oil. A deficiency of these essential nutrients causes symptoms known as "depression" in nearly ALL deficient people.

**Gingko Biloba, ginger root, or any other herb that increases circulation of blood to the brain can help with the brain fog that can accompany depression.

**Supplements like SAM-e, 5-HTP, L-Tryptophan, St. John's Wort and related substances serve as "natural" antidepressants, naturally increasing the production of certain neurotransmitters in the brain. (DO NOT TAKE WITH PRESCRIPTION ANTIDEPRESSANTS!)

**Cannabis is a safe, natural, and effective antidepressant for many people. To cut down on health risks, vaporise or cook in food/beverages instead of smoking. Hemp is one of the only substances in nature to contain all 9 essential amino acids (EFAs) which are vital to our health and well-being. It's a nutritional powerhouse, and the psychoactive compounds provide immediate treatment for many ailments, from AIDS wasting syndrome to anxiety to anorexia.

**Also remember that it's important to get plenty of sunlight, fresh air, exercise, and quality sleep to avoid depression. These things are the very foundation of a happy, fulfilling life and must not be neglected.

While clinical depression doesn't require an external trigger, our life circumstances certainly play a large role in our mental state. Take steps to break away from dysfunctional relationships, set aside plenty of time for relaxation and recreation, and find a job that makes you feel productive and fulfilled. I mean REALLY fulfilled, not just wealthy or admired by other people. The perfect job is one where you don't even realize you're working; it's something you'd do in your spare time for free even if you didn't have to have a "job". Friends should be supporting of whatever lifestyle or life changes you embark on and should lift you up when you're down, and the same goes for family and romantic partners.

Another common contributor to depression is negative self-talk. That is, when that little voice in your head tells you "you're stupid, incompetent, not manly enough, a bad son/brother/friend, etc." That voice should be saying things like, "It's okay. Nobody is perfect. I'm a good person because I have the inherent value that all human beings have and are given by our creator. I'll do better next time." Or something to that effect. We also construct imaginary audiences in our minds that discourage us from doing the things we want, judge us for our feelings and actions, and ridicule us. When you do something embarrassing like slip and fall down, your imaginary audience may laugh at you, make you feel clumsy and say degrading comments, leading you to believe you really ARE a clumsy soandso, etc. It's VITAL to separate our imaginary audience from our "real" audience by remembering that the real people in our lives do not think such terrible things about us and aren't half as judgmental as our imaginary audiences are. In fact, other people don't notice 90% of the"embarrassing" things we beat ourselves up for, as they're too preoccupied with their own lives and with avoiding similar embarrassment. We all have these internal dialogues, and being able to see it for what it is is very helpful. Negative self-talk comes from conditioning, and the longer it goes on, the more we believe it. The more we believe it, the more it hurts us and distorts our perception of reality. The next time you catch yourself thinking, "Boy, what a stupid idiot I am", stop whatever you're doing, take a deep breath, and remind yourself that it's only your opinion and others don't think this about you. Replace negative self-talk with positive affirmations.

To summarize, depression is not just one disorder or disease, it's any one of a long list of symptoms that varies greatly from person to person and over time within the same individual. However, all people with depression are at risk for lowered immune function, increased illness, and other health problems, as depression directly affects our body systems on an intimate level. Not to mention it can lead to career problems, relationship issues, and a general lower quality of life all around. It's important to search for the underlying CAUSE of your depression so you can know how to treat it. SSRIs like Prozac and other antidepressants only work for some people in some situations. If your depression is caused by a vitamin deficiency, for instance, these medications will do little to no good for your particular type of depression, and if you're suffering from undiagnosed bipolar disorder, they can even be dangerous. Conversely, if your depression is caused by a troubling external situation in your life, neither supplements nor medications will help; the solution is to learn healthy coping and communication skills to deal with problems more effectively. If your symptoms are caused by a health problem like low thyroid function, none of the above will provide relief--the solution is taking medication to treat your physical condition and complying with your dosing schedule.

So there are many potential treatments for depression, but you must know the cause in order to treat it effectively. Not all negative life cycles are a sign of clinical depression, as it's normal to experience ups and downs in the areas of emotions, career success, relationships, etc. Our culture, being so influenced by the pharmaceutical industry and their "magic bullets" for every condition under the sun, has made many people overly concerned about their health, thinking every emotion or negative sensation they experience is a sure sign of disease. On the other hand, depression is a very real physical disease, just like diabetes or heart disease, and should not be overlooked or downplayed. Depression may actually be more prevalent today than in the past due to the pressures of living in the 21st century: eating deplorable diets devoid of any nutritional value and being deprived of sleep/down time while running 100 mph at jobs that underpay and undervalue employees. Throw in a family history of depression, and you have a recipe for disaster.

My best advice would be to do some research on clinical depression as soon as possible. Learn about the different types (atypical, dysthymia, etc.), possible causes, symptoms and treatment options and just absorb as much info as you can. This may take days or even weeks, but be persistent in learning all you can.

The second step is to evaluate your life circumstances and external stressors: Is your boss too demanding or degrading? Are you under pressure to live up to a certain level of prestige in your profession? Are your friends supporting you and helping you grow, or are they dragging you down and making you feel worse? How's your love life? Is your home life one of peace and cooperation or one of chaos and disorder? Do you have someone you can pour your heart out to at any given time without fear of judgment and rejection? Writing down these questions and answers helps immensely in getting your thoughts organized and seeing where things are going wrong.

Third would be to list all the stressors in your life and try to find ways to deal with them so they don't crop up and kill you slowly. When do you feel the most stressed? The saddest? The most defeated? Learn relaxation techniques like deep breathing, meditation, and others to prevent anxiety from turning into deep depression.

From a biological perspective, look at your diet, level of physical activity, sex life, spiritual life, the time you spend relaxing, the number of hours you sleep, and other health-related subjects. Look for ways to get more sleep, exercise, nutrients, and recreation into your life even if it means putting other people second sometimes (which it will). Practice positive affirmation each morning by repeating a phrase like, "I am a caring, loving individual who is good at _____, _____, and ______. I will make this day the best it possibly can be." Work on your psychological self-talk and deal with issues from the past by confiding in someone who's mature and caring enough to listen. Unresolved emotions can wreak havoc on our current lives, even if we don't realize it.

Things NOT to do would be going to GNC without researching health supplements, loading up on everything the store clerk recommends for depression, spending tons of money and possibly making things worse by being ignorant to the effects of your supplements. Equally bad is going to your physician and telling him/her you're depressed...all they'll do is write a script for a medication they know little about for a condition they're not qualified to treat. If you need medication, get it from a psychiatrist. Don't focus all your attention on your symptoms and overanalyze them, but don't just neglect your mental health by ignoring it and staying uninformed about your condition either. Find a balance of being knowledgable, concerned and proactive about your treatment without being a compulsive worrier, self-pitier, or hopeless zombie. Knowledge really is power when it comes to depression, so read up. Ask questions. Reach out for help and support. You'll be glad you did.

(Sorry so long. I'm just passionate about this topic and have extra energy left over from a Benzedrex run) :)

These really ring a cord with me, thank you this post <3

I have the same thing, and for as long as I remember it has been that way. It's not like I'm constantly depressed or unenthusiastic about life. If I take good care of myself and try to find things to get myself enthustiastic about, then I'm good. This means eating well, getting up early in the mornings and doing things with my day, exercising, looking after my spiritual health, etc. It's just that sometimes, doing all this takes an energy that I don't have. This weekend I've basically just been cooped up in my room, drinking beers and watching films. No energy to do anything. I know drinking makes it a lot worse, and I know the trick is to break the cycle by getting up early in the morning, going for a run, meditating, eating healthy and avoiding alcohol (I'm starting to think this is affecting my moods more than I think). Also, I've tended to be a hermit lately, but I need to make an effort to leave the house + my comfort zone more.

Sometimes it just gets to me that it takes so much effort to be happy. I wish I was one of those people whose default mode is happy, but for me it needs to be a conscious choice, and I need to do xyz to get there.

But I know, I shouldn't complain too much because there are many people who are even worse off.

^ i to, have became a hermit. I used to be a complete social butterfly.

Anyway, OP: This is more than likely just a phase but I can understand why you are concerned. I would recommend l-tyrosine, or talking to a doctor about this numbness you feel, they won't suggest anti-depressants if you don't want them. Good luck :)
I would absolutely not recommend l-tyrosine. Have you actually tried this Claire and was it beneficial? Supplementing with this stuff makes me feel really weird...like borderline psychotic even at times given the 'right' environmental stimulus. Not generally helpful in large amounts for a healthy/positive life, imo (you get plenty from a regular protein rich diet).

Audio T, whats your exercise schedule like? Cardio and resistance? Regularly?

Also, vitamins/minerals from veggies and such? Plenty of calories (you're not dieting or anything)? Lots of protein (precursors to testosterone)?

Eggs have acetylcholine precursors in them which are responsible for acuity and vigilance (on a simplistic explanation). Also contain good cholesterol which are a direct precursor to testosterone. I would possibly suggest supplementing with something like lecithin granules (or oil) everyday and maybe researching piracetam in conjunction with this (both have effects on the acetylcholine axis).

You might also contemplate going to the doctor to get some bloodwork done to check your testosterone levels - low t-levels can greatly affect a man's 'drive' for life.

i am like that

it's a fucking miracle i'm still alive

and these people treat you like shit

family school, they like to get you mad and laugh, reup themselves by bringing you down

and with our eyes, we can clearly see when we look at the cars, the concrete
the expensive rent, expensive everything

we are now living in motherfucking hell

like I said, it's a miracle i'm still alive...

I wish I was one of those people whose default mode is happy

every person i've ever spent any time with that was like that is as unhappy as anyone else. it's just an act.

Status
Not open for further replies.